Friday, September 26, 2008

getting blown away....


So I am writing on a Friday afternoon after just having a cup of American Coffee....it was black with sugar but it is the first cup I have has since being in Florence and it was delicious! I can remember the last time I had Starbucks...It was in the London Gatwick airport before I left for Pisa! And yes...I remember the date, August 19th! I know lame but I do sort of miss my triple grande iced soy carmel sauce latte! BUT good news, there is Starbucks in Germany so I will be hitting that up in December! :D


Monday when I went to the school for my Mysticism and Magic class I learned that the school almost burnt down this last weekend! Someone had left a projector on and burned 3 of our classrooms. Luckily, someone called the fire department and there was not too much damage. But for this week, some of my classes were held in another school about 2 mins away from Richmond.


Moving on, this week has been an interesting one. On tuesday, instead of having Italian class, we were taken to the Palazzo Vecchio along with other American students in Florence for "Welcome Day". It was were the Mayor of Florence and some other members of Parliment welcomed us to this beautiful city! It was interesting....I was able to fill out a form so that I can have my absentee ballot sent here so I can still vote in this very important US election coming up(more on that later).


Wednesday, I went to the San Marco Monastery with my Mysticism and Magic class. This is actually a still living monastery which was interesting to hear. It was pretty amazing on the inside. In every cell in the monastery, it had a different fresco, so it was really cool to go from cell to cell and look at all the frescoes. I took some pictures but none of them turned out a well as I had hoped. But check facebook out anyway if you can.


So this week I have been battling a cough, which has been no fun! It is going around the people in my program so it was bound to come find me but now, I have gotten my roommates sick! So that is a quick update on my health if you wanted to know. :D Hopefully after I get over this...I will not be sick for the rest of the trip! *knock on wood*


This saturday I am going to my first ever soccer game in europe! I am super excited! The game is Fiorentine vs. Genoa so I managed to by a really decently priced Fiorentine scarf that I am going to sport at this game! I will take pictures!


Moving on to what I have been reading about in the papers about the US. So apparently our market is not doing so well right now. WaMu just got bought out by Chase in one of the biggest bank failures in history...and of course I happen to bank with them. I really hope that this does not put a damper on my finances while I am in Italy because that would not be fun for me! I was watching a video on CNN.com and it said that for now that people who bank with WaMu aren't going to see a change YET. Who knows what will happen....the market pretty much sucks and let's hope whoever becomes President will make a change for the better!


Hope that was enough of an update for ya'll! Miss you and Love you!
P.S. I decided to put up a picture of the Ponte Vecchio becauce it looks BEAUTIFUL at night! :D

1 comment:

Mama said...

I'm not sure a change in administration will solve the problem. Big business is greedy and that is, I believe, the root of the problem.

I'm so glad you are having such a great experience. Florence is so beautiful and everytime I see your pictures, I remember being there with Steve and Sydnee. I hope you get a chance to bus to some of the neighboring towns and cities. And a half liter of house wine is easiy enough for two people and is cheaper than two czech beers. We never had a bad house wine.

Ciao, ciao bella